Swinley Forest 23rd January CANCELLED

Rides, bike talk, advice, etc.

Moderators: admin, IanTaylor

IanTaylor

Swinley Forest 23rd January CANCELLED

Post by IanTaylor » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:47 am

The next ride is from Swinley Forest w3w///steps.retail.fuzzy https://www.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/lei ... ery-centre

The latest Covid guidance from Cycling UK says to use your common sense and take more care. Whilst maximum group sizes are no longer recommended it seems sensible to stick with their original guidance. Usual protocols apply:

If you have tested positive or are exhibiting symptoms of Covid, or feel unwell, you must not attend the ride.

Individual ride groups will be limited to 15.

PLEASE POST IF YOU ARE COMING and indicate if you are a non-member. Would potential ride leaders also post so we have you in the overall number.

AND

You are advised to wear face masks/coverings in crowded settings and be mindful that coronavirus is still endemic in the population, that the possibility of transmission still exists and that the virus can be contracted regardless of vaccination status. To this end we would ask that you continue to adhere to our amended guidelines to ensure we stay Covid safe:

Note club rides are available for people who self-regulate, ride leaders will not be policing the following but if you consistently breach them you may be asked to leave the ride. They are there for your safety and the safety of others.

• 2m spacing at all times during rides, extending to 4m if riding in front or behind someone.
• Each rider must carry a spare tube in case of a puncture or suitable kit if riding tubeless.
• Each rider must have disposable gloves and a face covering in case of having to attend to falls. Carrying hand sanitiser is also strongly recommended.
• Follow the ride leaders directions in case of a puncture/fall to ensure the minimum number of people are involved.

Thanks and have a great ride

t'Committee

PatrickS

Re: Swinley Forest Ride 23rd January

Post by PatrickS » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:26 pm

Yes please for medium group. Hopefully less mud, not so much grit.

Patrick

PenHarrison

Post by PenHarrison » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:17 pm

Sadly unable to make this ride as my bike is out of action. My back-up bike, a CX, is not really up to the rigors of Swinley!

After riding Swinley last weekend, I was reminded that it is NOT suitable for beginners. A high level of bike fitness and technical skill is necessary to really make the most of the trails there, especially as many of them are slippery, rooty, badly eroded and cut up at this time of year.

It is possible to potter around gently, but even still, good fitness is needed due to the steep climbs and pedally bermy singletrack.

Do bear this is mind if you are thinking of going!

Pen x

IanTaylor

Post by IanTaylor » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:30 pm

Probably best if I don't mention my last visit :oops:

Pocket Rocket

Post by Pocket Rocket » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:41 am

I'll be there

Carolyn

sue m

Post by sue m » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:05 pm

Agree with what Pen has said but if you are a medium rider you should be fine riding around Swinley just not for beginners or those who do not like the more technical riding.

I have an injured knee so not going to make it.

Sue

Pamann

Post by Pamann » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:08 am

I will be there.
Yes please for medium group.

Pamela

PatrickS

Post by PatrickS » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:14 pm

Not able to make it as bike out of action.

Have a good time.

Patrick

Pamann

Post by Pamann » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:59 pm

Hi,
It would appear that at this stage that there is only two of us up for cycling at Swinley Forest tomorrow. So for that reason I shall no longer be going. Not saying that we wouldn’t have fun there Carolyn ! But the more the merrier if you catch my drift.
Stay safe and happy cycling everyone 🙂🚵🏻‍♀️
Pamela

Roger Shephard

Post by Roger Shephard » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:37 pm

HI All

Sorry, but I can't make it either. In the morning I shall be accompanying my wife to Southampton General Hospital for some tests.

I do hope some of you get to go there and have a fun ride.

Roger

Roger Shephard

Post by Roger Shephard » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:49 am

Well folks, it looks like all our usual ride leaders are not available tomorrow for various reasons, and cannot therefore lead a ride around Swinley.

Some of you who have not posted your intention of coming may indeed still turn up but do not despair, because riding at Swinley is one of those "can't really get lost" sort of venues so you can still have a fulfilling ride, it just will not be the usual NewForce conducted outing.

Sorry but sometimes the stars align and as our forefathers surmised, it can be a portent of plans falling apart.

If you do go along, have a great time and I know that the venue will not disappoint.

Roger..