Controversial or what? Ride leaders wanted!

Rides, bike talk, advice, etc.

Moderators: admin, IanTaylor

Roger Shephard

Controversial or what? Ride leaders wanted!

Post by Roger Shephard » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:57 pm

Hi All

We had a bit of a hiccup with medium group ride leaders at the ride from Cranborne on 17th April and for me it threw into sharp focus a problem that has been bubbling under for some time now.

For the Cranborne ride there were two of the regular medium group ride leaders who had long stated their inability to lead the ride due to diary commitments, and because of this I had stepped in to lead the ride for the medium paced group. However, in the days leading up to the ride date I had a medical situation that forced me to announce a late cancellation of my involvement and despite a general forum notice calling for somebody to step forward, we had to put a contingency solution in place to ensure that the medium group had a leader for the ride.

Over many committee meetings we have discussed broadening the roll call of ride leaders and the Cranborne ride highlighted to me the fragile nature of our ride leader structure and how it is a house of cards waiting to fall down.

I think that it is time for the membership in general and the committee members in particular to give serious consideration to setting aside any misgivings or any perceived lack of geographical nous and step forward to take on some of the ride leading commitment so that as a club we are in a much better position to plan ahead with some certainty. Not only would it reduce the constant expectation on a small pool of leaders but it would help to fuel the variety of proposed ride locations as the new leader preferences feed in to the ride calendar.

So who is up for it? Please feel free to tag onto this thread with offers and suggestions.

Roger Shephard
Chairman.

sue m

Re: Controversial or what? Ride leaders wanted!

Post by sue m » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:00 pm

It would also be good to have some people who are prepared to lead a slower group to enable those who are new to mountain biking or just a bit slower than medium/medium-fast. pace. Roger and I have led such rides in the past and are prepared to lead some again but not every week.

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:03 am

I remember sending an email before the AGM suggesting we put Selborne back on the calendar and I could lead a group. I don't think much happened to it though.

PaulCroll

Post by PaulCroll » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:28 pm

Hi Roger

I think the issue is knowing the route. In the fast group I don’t know how Steve and Tania do it.

I will be leading the fast group on the Perbeck ride, but I have probably done it four times and I have it recorded on my Garmin. It took me a while to build up my Whiteparish ride and finding the time is not easy.

As many of us have Garmins, if we record the rides and put the Garmin file on the website (in a members only section), then next time the ride is needed it would be much easier for someone to down load it and lead.

I know that will not help with finding knew routes, but it will take the pressure off the few ride leaders we currently have. Also, once other people start leading, maybe they will have the confidence to start building a new route themselves.

Paul

Roger Shephard

Post by Roger Shephard » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:25 pm

Replying to Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the Selborne note. I have done a search in my email folder using the the keyword Selborne and your email did not reveal itself.

A common problem that I experience time and again when reading emails or ideed searching for previous emails is that there is a tendency for people to tag their new email to an old subject heading simply because the target audience is the same, and when the email gets logically listed in the inbox a new subject gets buried under the old heading. In my experience, the only way to get a new subject noticed is to give it a new heading and it then becomes visible on its own merits and searchable into the future.

Having said that, the committee did take note of your email at the time you sent it because Selborne is the next ride on our holding list for future rides and is slotted in for 4th September. The reason we have not published it yet is so that we can maintain some flexibility and to give us a chance to work around changing circumstances in peoples commitments or the accessibility of the ride and its environs.

So Pete, all things being equal Selborne will go forward as a firm venue on 4th September and I look forward to you being available to lead one the groups.

Thank you for your continued support of the club and its aims.

Best regards

Roger

Roger Shephard

Post by Roger Shephard » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:43 pm

Replying to Paul

Hi Paul

I think that the way Steve and Tania do it is the same way I do it; the simple answer is to go and do it. This is basically what I am trying to encourage people to do and I am grateful for your commitment to lead on the Purbeck ride. However I am sure that there are many rides that you, and in turn, many other club members do on your own account outside of the club ride list, and it is precisely this that I am trying to encourage members to share with others. It can only happen when members start to put their ride preferences forwards as suggestions for club rides, together with the contingent offer of leading the ride itself. I know that any completely new ride will take a while to formulate, whoever brings it to the table but there must be many rides that members do outside of the club's fortnightly offerings, and which could be developed by the members in question into a joint ride for our Sunday outings without too much additional input.

Thank you for your contribution to the discussion and the club is grateful to you for the rides that you have lead in the past. I welcome and thank you for your continuing commitment into the future.

Best regards

Roger.

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:54 pm

Ok :) I just replied to the email about the forthcoming AGM and sounds like it was received. That's actually the first I heard about it though! However, I'm at a festival that weekend sorry :(

Since the lockdowns I have lots of other rides but they all start from my house and include lots of boring road or a certain old-railway, and not coming back the same way either...

MarkyW

Post by MarkyW » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:57 am

Hello,

I'm happy to put my name forward as a back-up for the Medium Leads.
Although my natural preference would be Leading Fast or Medium+ pace rides.

Cheers
Mark

sue m

Post by sue m » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:23 pm

If anyone wants to lead and needs a route then do not let that put you off there are several club members who could provide a route - either tried and tested or a new route.... either a paper copy or a gpx for use on a garmin.