Tick research

Rides, bike talk, advice, etc.

Moderators: admin, IanTaylor

Martin

Tick research

Post by Martin » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:09 pm

Incoming mail.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll forward the "Participant Information" 'Word" document and the poster she mentions that I can't attach here.

"
Dear New Forest Mountain Bike Club,
I am Eilish Hart, a PhD student based at the UK Health Security Agency at Porton Down, Salisbury. The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) is a government agency responsible for protecting every member of every community from the impact of infectious diseases and other health threats.
Part of my PhD involves looking at population exposure to tick-borne diseases including Lyme disease and tick-borne encephalitis. I am running a study to see if people who enjoy outdoor recreational activities in areas where ticks are common, like the New Forest and areas nearby, have increased exposure to tick borne diseases. I am contacting recreational groups such as yours to ask if your members would be interested in taking part in this study.
We have now booked some dates/sessions (see below). If you would like to take part, you will need to attend one of the sessions below to give your consent, fill in a questionnaire about your outdoor hobbies and exposure to ticks, and donate one tube of blood taken by our qualified phlebotomists. We expect this will take about 30 minutes of your time.

If you could circulate the attached poster to your members advertising the sessions that would be great. I have also attached the Participant Information Sheet for this study in case anyone would like more information. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thursday 11th January, 10am – 3:30pm. Brockenhurst Scout Centre, Highwood Road, Brockenhurst SO42 7RY. Free parking at venue. (confirmed)
Thursday 18th January, 10am – 3:30pm. Brockenhurst Scout Centre, Highwood Road, Brockenhurst SO42 7RY. Free parking at venue. (confirmed)
Thursday 18th January, 5pm – 7:30pm. Fuller/Mclellan room, Lymington Community Centre, SO41 9BQ (to be confirmed)

Refreshments will be provided. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask. If you know of anyone who is 18 or over and regularly carries out recreational activities such as walking, cycling or running in the New Forest/Hampshire area and would be interested feel free to share this information with them.

Kind regards,

Eilish

UKHSA logo
Eilish Hart
HPRU PhD Student
UK Health Security Agency
eilish.hart@ukhsa.gov.uk
www.gov.uk/ukhsa Follow us on Twitter @UKHSA